Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Episode 15: Alliance Gym - Month 1

It's been over a month since I started taking Intro to Striking classes at Alliance Gym. I take this class twice a week and their strengthening class once a week. Between these classes and eating healthier, I feel so much better and in shape!

Numbers on the scale don't look much different than before I started working out but I can tell I'm losing some fat as I gain muscle because the gut is getting smaller.

Either way, the intro class will be a good way to get caught up so that I can advance to the Muay Thai class someday. I have my strengths and weaknesses, but I think I'm improving overall. Each class I take, I go home with some new tips on how to improve my technique. Keep the hand open when throwing elbows. Don't point your toes when kicking. Chop downwards when kicking the thighs. Keep the leg compact when kneeing the body up close. Point the knee out when doing jump kicks...

There's been lots of different suggestions by different people at the gym, so hopefully I eventually remember them all and they become second nature. I love that everyone at the gym is really supportive, especially because I've been going on my own. It's still a little intimidating even though I've been going regularly for over a month now though.

I was asked last night by some random guy watching if I planned to fight professionally :)  The answer is no, but even though it's no, I still want to be great at it. And that's why I push myself through the classes and practice at least another 30 minutes on the bags after classes. I've never really been great at anything, and I think I have enough passion for this that I'm willing to work that much harder to get there. 

Sigh... to be great at something. Can't wait for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment